Sep 20, 2006

Salute! And Sorry.

This is for all my non-drinking friends who have given me company while I (or me along with other drinking friends) have had our drinking sessions. I realised yesterday the depth of your friendship, patience and indulgence.

You see, I have quit drinking since this last Sunday (now I dont want to see those smirks and rolling eyes, you alcoholics out there. The statement is open-ended; i did not say I wont ever drink again) . The first 2 days I was alone and it wasnt a big deal. But yesterday, a friend of mine had come down from Cal and came to meet me at my place with a bottle in his hand. My cousin, who also stays me, joined him when he got back from work, and it took a lot of consistent refusal from me to finally convince them that I wont drink.

Anyway..after a couple of pegs they started a typical daaru-table-discourse - topics ranging from global poilitics, social maladies to socialite cleavages. And since i was sitting there wrung-out-dry, in about an hour i went from being bored to irritated to downright angry. The evening ended in me retiring to my bedroom in a huff, while they continued to discuss the Iraq situation till 2.

Even though I hope my friends will vouch for me when I say I am a sensible drunk, I shudder to think if there have been occassions when someone has thought of me the way I thought of these 2 last night. This thought is motivation enough to think of quitting for good.

Like I said.."salute"...and "sorry".

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what every reader of your blog will say"NO COMMENTS".
whats the big if you have quit you could always do it and you(we) were getting to a point where we had no option left.
Cheers to that

Anonymous said...

oops big ke baad "deal" type karna bhool gaya .HIC

Shuv said...

chup be gandu. my quitting was not the point. log daaru peeke bakwas chodte hai thats the point u aussie motha

Scout said...

Although I don't really know you, here's my reaction:

Smirk and rolling eyes :)

Shuv said...

i am sad to say scout..u seem to know me quite well..sigh!!

Scout said...

Hehe. Seems like you are similar to most of my friends, who go on these celibate periods (3 drink limit and such like), only to fail miserably.

Shuv said...

i am absolutely confident of failing this time as well scout..epitome of honesty that i am, everyone will get to know when the failure happens.

Shuv said...

vivek: that doesnt mean u r not getting that bottle of jack daniels for me. did i tell u that we are going trekking to triund on oct 6th? i would like to show the place to jack as well.

kaushik said...

On more than one occasions I have had this experience mostly with you and someone else (Loki etc). Frankly I never had a problem so long as the chats & soups were unlimited.

But this reminds me of how one feels in one of those new year parties that I had to attend in Beleghata. Its pretty sad to see all the kiddos and wifys boogied in one room and guys drinking their hearts out as if thats all there is to that occasion.

Thats possibly the only times when passive drinking is painful.

By the way, its 4 days and I keeping fingers crossed. I dotn think drinking never was a problem. But I guess escaping is...

Otherwise I had no probs...

Shuv said...

yeah kaushik..those beleghata 31st parties were terrible..went once and that was enuff for me.

Shuv said...

i was drinking apple juice. it looks just like whiskey. wild man!

Anonymous said...

dear shuv,dont leave drinking..please.

u're definitely more sensible when u r drunk,what these 2 guys were doing ..do u realise u do that all the time..without the drinks?

dont tell me you r not drunk when you write your blogs!