Jun 28, 2006

Wanderlust

wan·der·lust (wŏn'dər-lŭst') noun: A very strong or irresistible impulse to travel.

[German : wandern, to wander (from Middle High German) + Lust, desire (from Middle High German, from Old High German).]

When I was 17 I met this American guy in Calcutta airport. I was doing a part time job for the Ministry of Tourism, the job being to fill up a questionnaire about tourism experiences of foreign tourists in India. This 20 something guy was sitting on a suitcase when I approached him and when I asked him what his permanent address was he patted his suitcase and said this is it. He had left home at the age of 17 and for the last 10 odd years he has been travelling around the world, working his way through one country to another, staying for as long as he liked and then moving on. He had come to Calcutta hoping to do some work with Mother Teresa and hopefully to roam the rest of India. I went home and after eating food my mother prepared and keeping the unwashed plates in the sink for the maid, I went to my room, turned on Floyd and thought 'what a life this guy has! how lucky he is that he can afford to do this'..

I met a similar guy in Bangkok..this guy was an electrician in Denver and he takes 6 months off every 3 years and roams the world. I met him when he was on his fifth month, when he had reached Thailand after staying in Japan and Australia. Again i went green with envy, wishing I had the dollar power to be able to live such a life.

Wanderlust is common among bengalis. Any tourist place you go to in India will be full of the bong traveller, unmistakeable in his monkey cap, cardiganned wife and shawled mother. I asked a shopkeeper in Kumaon (last month when I went there) what the tourist season was like. He answered that usually its March to October, except for bengali tourists who come in the winters as well. But even these guys are not the true travellers. When I was a kid I had heard so many stories of bengali globe-trotters, who had left home in their teens and had worked their way across the world and came back home after 25-30 years.

I salute these guys. These were the guys that prove to couch dreamers like me that you dont need dollars or a permissible society to pursue your dreams.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband has this theory that no matter where in the world you travel you will always find an Indian tourist roaming with a camera. I have tested this theory in some really unconventional tourist spots and have found this to be true. We recently criscrossed through the Rocky Mountains National Park the very first day the roads were opened to the public in spring. I was pleasantly surprized to see that Indian tourists had by far out numbered the Americans. Wanderlust, it seems, is a part of our culture.

Anonymous said...

Oh, what did I do to deserve this crap
A job, a boss, mortgage and all that crap

I would love to travel all over
(Of course by train)
And clear up this mess I call my brain

We're d(r)ying at the roots, man
Give us some water
Being led to retirement,
Like lambs to the slaughter

"One of these days"
I keep saying, my brother
This world and myself -
We gonna get to know each other

Shuv said...

whoa DD! was that original?

Shuv said...

jhimli if u query those indians maybe u will find 75% are bongs..thats true in india at least

Anonymous said...

DD's effort reminds me of....madras theke sriperumbudur.....remember???

Shuv said...

of course!!
madras theke sriperumbur
noyto sheta beshi dur
rajib hotta holo shethay
bajche beenar korun shur

shadhu shadhu shadhu

camel ekti mammel er cheyeo bhalo

Anonymous said...

Of course it was original! Was that a return jibe in response to my 'cut and paste' comment? I am seriously offended at being mentioned in the same breath as CAMEL EKTI MAMEL.

Can you imagine, that guy's probably making up poetry to recite to God right now. Would explain the condition of the world, I think.

BTW, suffering from a severe case of soccer withdrawal. TWO WHOLE EFFING DAYS! It's been glorious this far, and given the teams that have moved on, I think it only gets better from here. Much as I hate England, Beckham truly lived up to his billing as 'THE BENDER' with that free kick.

Shuv said...

munia is a bloody fool..no sense of poetry..can u imagine she didnt like my 'emptiness' poem!! i mean, how shallow can a person be not to appreciate that work of art!!

today is the day DD..germany and argentina..2 of my fav teams meeting at the quarters...what a world cup this is turning out to be!

Anonymous said...

fool or not, i know i am partial.....any day i will side up with baba's poetry rather than urs......heee heee

Shuv said...

poetry is serious shit man! my respect for all poets of this world has multiplied thousand fold after my 2 failed attempts...u think i should give up?