Jul 6, 2006

India shining!

Increasingly these days, I get approached by young guys, asking if I can get them some work. Their profile varies from a daily wage labourer to a qualified chartered accountant. I feel desperately sorry for these guys and sometimes I wonder how I would have handled a situation where I have to approach unknown people for a job. I have seen a lot of such guys, as well as office peons earning 1000 bucks a month, traders sitting on pavements selling used pins, broken radio parts and what not, jobless graduates standing in the midday sun requesting passers by to fill up a credit card application form....and have wondered how they can manage to support their families.

Yesterday I had to go to a place about 3 kms from my office where there are major hassles finding a parking slot; so i took a mini-van. Suddenly a huge rucus started in the front - the conductor was asking a guy for fare and he was saying he just wanted to travel for one stop. Finally the bus was stopped and he was bodily thrown out. At that time i cursed him for the delay..later i started thinking what possible situation a man might be in that he has to resort to such things to save two bucks?

What kind of a future can they dream of? Or do they even dream any more?

In a country such as ours, I sometimes feel ashamed of the industry I am in and the so called 'work' that I do and the pay packet I take home doing that. But then, I will only write about it..i am too lazy to do anything constructive about it.

11 comments:

Shuv said...

and we actually missed the bus in terms of the big bucks on client site..i know so many millionaires my age its not funny..they just had the sense to enter the field at its peak..in 1995-96...when we were screwing around with our lives.

Shuv said...

i envy koushik..he is the only guy i know in this industry who is happy doing quality work and getting proportionate returns..

Shuv said...

beta if i had made my millions then i would have been out of this industry before you can say 'narayan murthy'..and then with my millions i would have done what i had always dreamed of..opened the best dog creche and breeding farm in india.

koushik is not just lucky..he is also one content guy.

Bishu said...

Hmmm...good to see finally someone leaking out the secret of IT glamour myth in blogosphere. Don't the clients do a cost-benefit study? Anyway so long I have my pay-check which is fatter than my non IT neighbour I am happy.

Anonymous said...

I see a critical mass here - of people who share common skills, and who seem frustrated with where their big, faceless companies are taking them. And at least, in the original post (India Shining!) a desire to do something for these folks 'on the street'. I have an idea. Shuv, maybe I can expand on this via voice, rather than try to write everything here. On your end then, you can try to see if there is the time, inclination and expertise to make it fly.

Shuv said...

bishu: welcome..nice blog u got there. keep posting. as 4 yr question abt cost benefit analysis..of course they do! that's why they are moving to china these days!

vivek: u r a bloody fool. if i were in your place i would have given my cell number to 'whomsoever it may concern' and roam colorado..remember, u r in the place where denver wrote 'rocky mountain high'. so dont waste time and start hiking.

dd: 'ami onek kichu korlei oneker poshar thakto na, tai ami kichui korini'..anyway, lets talk about yr plans next time we talk

kaushik said...

Who said I am "the only guy i know in this industry who is happy doing quality work". Whoever it is must my one of my enemies. If murphy hears this does this guy know what fate awaits me...

Anonymous said...

look up to me guys i am doing no work and just looking for work after slogging my a... for 9 years actually slogged 6 out of that 9yrs.but what i know is that this is the hardest thing i am doing in terms of efforts no one is required to put efforts after u have the job,thats what i can make out from the posts above and personal experiences.so learn to live with it guys office is a cafe where u get free coffees and stay touch with friends and news thru net,DON'T EXPECT A THING MORE FROM YOUR PROFESSSION and u will be happy.

Shuv said...

vikas d k bose bohut gaali padega tujhe if u make sweeping statements such as these..considering the fact that you have NEVER worked in a corporate environment before.

ghetufool said...

lovely shuv,
you not only thought but wrote the truth.
i have a new found respect for this cynic.

Shuv said...

yeah..but i would just sit back, crib and comment. wont do anything constructive to change the situation.